Or call
(02) 9832 5800


    A step by step process

    At Minchinbury Manor we understand that finding the right aged care residence and making the transition can be quite stressful, especially if it is unexpected. There is a lot to understand and it can be quite overwhelming. Please be assured our staff are here to guide you and make your experience with Minchinbury Manor as easy as possible.

    There are five steps that must be completed before you can enter an aged care residence. Our guide below sets out what is required. We are here to help. Please call at any time if you need assistance.

    1. ACAT Assessment

    To determine if you are eligible for residential aged care, you first need to have an assessment from your local Aged Care Assessment Team or ACAT. The ACAT assessment is free of charge and will determine what level of care you need to best help you, considering your present situation, medical requirements and other contributing factors. 

    ACAT may be contacted directly on 1800 200 422 or by visiting

    2. Review your finances and understand the costs

    It is important you fully understand your financial position and what costs will be involved. There is a lot to take in, so before making any commitment, we recommend you speak to a financial adviser who specialises in aged care.

    The Government provides support to those living in aged care but expects those who can contribute to their care to do so.  The support you receive from the Government will be determined after evaluation of your assets and income.  This is done by completing a ‘Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment’ form (hyperlink ‘form’ with the link below) which can be downloaded from the Department of Human Services website:
    If you cannot access or download the form, we can help you.

    There are four types of fees associated with residential aged care

    1 Accommodation Fee. The accommodation fee refers to the price of the room and varies across different aged care residences. The amount you are required to pay is based on your asset and income assessment. There are three options and how you choose to pay is up to you. You have 28 days after you enter the residence to decide how you wish to pay.

    (i) Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD)

    This is a lump sum payment that is made upon entering the residence and is fully refundable when you depart (1). A RAD payment can be likened to ‘buying’ the room.

    Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) payment = $500,000
    (ii) Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP)

    This is the daily equivalent of the RAD and can be thought of as ‘renting’ the room. The fee is calculated using the Maximum Permissible Interest Rate (MPIR) set by the Australian Government. This annual interest rate is applied to the Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) and then divided by 365 to determine the Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP).

    Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) calculated using a
    Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) of $500,000
    [$500,000 x 0.0498(2)] /365 = $68.22 per day
    (iii) Combination of RAD and DAP

    This option allows for a combination, i.e., part purchase and part rent. The split between the two is your choice.

    60% RAD = $500,000 x 0.6 = $300,000
    40% DAP = [$200,000 x 0.0498(2)]/365 = $27.29 per day

    (1) Less any agreed fees
    (2) Maximum Permissible Interest Rate

    2 Basic Daily Care Fee
    The basic daily care fee covers daily living expenses such as nursing, meals, laundry, cleaning, heating and cooling. The fee is set at 85% of the full aged pension, irrespective of whether you receive a pension or not. The current charge is $51.63 per day. The fee is reviewed March and September each year.

    3 Means Tested Care Fee
    Depending upon your financial position, you may be required to make additional contributions towards the cost of your care. This is determined by the Department of Human Services.

    4 Extra or Additional Service Fee
    This is an optional fee and applies to extra services an aged care residence may offer. Such extras include boutique style accommodation, wine with meals, extra menu choices and daily newspapers.

    3. Finding the right residence

    Once you have had your ACAT assessment, are deemed eligible for residential aged care and you know your financial position, you can start looking at different residences that cater to your care needs and requirements.

    When choosing, it is important to consider the type of accommodation, quality of care and services provided. Location is also important. Ask for recommendations from your family, friends or your local GP.  

    At Minchinbury Manor, we offer a range of accommodation, service and activity options designed to support different care needs and lifestyle choices. Whether you need assistance with the activities of daily living, have more complex medical needs; require respite; or need dementia or palliative care, Minchinbury Manor can assist.

    4. Apply

    When you have a short list of the aged care residences where you would like to live, you should start applying. There is no restriction on the number of residences you can apply to.

    To apply to Minchinbury Manor, please complete the application form. If you require assistance, we are here to help.

    Click here to DOWNLOAD the Application Form

    5. Move in

    The final step in the process is moving in. This can be both exciting and daunting.  It is also an emotional time as it marks the beginning of a new chapter in your life.  Our staff look forward to welcoming you and helping you to settle in and feel comfortable.

    When you move into Minchinbury Manor you will receive a Resident Handbook. Keep it handy. It will provide useful information about your new life at Minchinbury Manor.

    Before you move, it is important you let your contacts and various organisations know. Here is a checklist to help you.

    • Family members
    • Friends and neighbours
    • Doctors and other health care professionals
    • Your home care nurse
    • Your gardener or lawn mowing person
    • Meals on Wheels and other community support services
    • Centrelink
    • Department of Veterans’ Affairs
    • Australian Taxation Office
    • Medicare
    • Your Health Insurer
    • Your bank, building society or credit union
    • Your superannuation fund
    • Service NSW for your driver’s licence
    • The Australian Electoral Commission
    • Mail redirection with your local post office